Shrimp Fried Rice
|2 cups long-grain rice||2 tsp minced garlic (split in two)|
|4 cups chicken broth||1½ tsp white pepper|
|1/2 cup olive oil||2-3 bay leaves|
|4 carrots (medium sized)||2 tsp curry powder|
|8oz green beans||1 tsp thyme|
|5oz sweet corn||2 tbsp suya pepper|
|2 bell peppers (any color)||1tbsp olive oil|
|1½ lbs jumbo shrimp - cooked||½ tsp kosher salt|
|3 bouillon cubes|
- Marinate shrimp: Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1.5tsp suya pepper, 1 tsp minced garlic, and kosher salt. Mix thoroughly and coat shrimp evenly with mixture. Place in the refrigerator and allow the shrimp to absorb the seasoning.
- Wash rice until the water runs clear. Strain out the water and allow to air dry
- Chop vegetables: Trim the ends of green beans and cut into small pieces. Chop 2 bell peppers of any color evenly (if you use green, consider using less to cut back on the bitterness). Dice carrots into small cubes
- Stir-fry vegetables in order of firmness (carrots first, green beans, sweet corn, peppers). Season with 1 bouillon cube and 1.5 tsp suya pepper, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1.2 tsp curry powder, and ½ tsp thyme
- Remove vegetables (they should be lightly cooked and still firm) and set aside. Drain stock from cooking and set aside as well.
- Stir-fry shrimp, tossing lightly until cooked and set aside. Drain stock from cooking and set aside as well.
- Chop up most of the shrimp, saving a few whole pieces to top the rice with once it’s cooked
- Add ½ cup olive oil to a sauté pan and allow to heat up. Slowly add in the rice and stir-fry until translucent, stirring constantly to keep it from browning. Set aside once the rice is translucent.
- Pour chicken broth into the sauté pan, add in reserved broth from shrimp and vegetables, and add in the remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Once the broth is boiling, lower the heat and bring to a simmer. Add in the rice from Step 8. Stir and cover the rice and leave to cook for about 20 mins.
- Check on the rice intermittently, the rice should be just soft enough.
- Take off the heat once cooked; slowly add in stir-fried vegetables and chopped shrimp, stirring to combine.
Remove bay leaves, top with whole shrimp, and serve immediately.
*Safeyya's Tip - Try stir frying the rice in ghee if you have some - it gives the rice a "buttery" soft, melt in your mouth, texture.